The Cloud Architect (CA) is responsible for the overall vision of what the solution will consist of once it is in Azure, as well as building out the migration plan. They are typically the go-to-resource for helping the customer to understand the tradeoffs of the approach to migrating or modernizing workloads as well as setting up the target Azure environment with appropriate controls for governance. A CA drives high-priority customer initiatives in collaboration with customers and your sales team. The CA is a technical, customer-facing role that is accountable for the end-to-end customer cloud deployment experience. CAs own the Azure technical customer engagement, including architectural design sessions, specific implementation projects and/or proofs of concepts. The ideal candidate will have experience in customer-facing roles and success leading deep technical architecture and application design discussions with senior customer executives to drive cloud deployment.
SKILLS SUMMARY (GENERAL)
|Technology / tools||Proficiency Level||Operational / soft skills||Proficiency Level|
|Windows Server 2016, 2012, 2008||Advanced||Spoken English||1-2 Errors|
|RHEL 6, 7 and 8||Advanced||International Customer Support Executive||Mandatory|
|IIS / Apache Web Server||Advanced||Supported IT Infrastructure||5 Core services and 5 Micro Services
|Nagios||Intermediate||Infrastructure Scale Supported||More than 100+ instances|
|Puppet / Chef / Ansible||Basic||Project Experience||Minimum two major Migration from on-premise to cloud|
|Docker / Kubernetes||Basic||Azure Administrator Associate / AWS Associate Architect||Mandatory
|Jenkins / TeamCity / CICD||Basic||Azure Solutions Architect Expert / AWS Associate Professional||Mandatory
|Python / Ruby / Perl / Bash||Basic||ITIL V3 Certification||Preferred|
|Selenium / Blazemeter / Jmeter||Basic|
SKILLS SUMMARY (PLATFORM SPECIFIC)
|Proficiency Group||AWS Proficiency Level||Azure Proficiency Level||Proficiency Level (Group)|
|Compute||EC2, LightSail||Virtual machines, Dedicated host||Advance|
|Containers||Elastic Container Registry, Elastic Container Service, Elastic Kubernetes Service||Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Azure Red Hat, Container Instances OpenShift, Container Instances,
Container registry, WebApp for Container
|Storage||S3,EFS,FSx,S3 Glacier, Storage Gateway, AWS Backup||Archive Storage, Azure Backup, File Storage, StorSimple, Backup and site recovery||Advance|
|Database||RDS, DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift||Azure SQL managed instance, SQL database||Intermediate|
|Migration Tools||AWS Migration Hub,
Application Discovery, Service, Database Migration Service, Server Migration Service, Data Sync
|Azure Migrate, Azure Site Recovery, Azure Database Migration Service||Expert|
|Networking and Content Delivery||VPC, CloudFront, Route 53
API Gateway, Direct Connect
|Virtual Network, Cloud Guard, Load Balancer, Application gateway, Express Route||Advance|
|Monitoring||CloudWatch, CloudTrail||Azure Monitor, Log Analytics, Network Watcher||Expert|
|Management and Governance||AWS Organizations,
AWS Auto Scaling, CloudFormation, AWS Compute Optimizer
|Azure security services, Azure Site Recovery, Azure Policy, Azure Advisor, Azure Migrate,||Expert|
|Security, Identity, & Compliance||IAM, Resource Access Manager, Cognito, Secrets Manager||Azure security center, Azure Active Directory, Azure AD domain services, Azure Information protection||Expert|
|Cost management||AWS Cost Explorer, AWS Budgets, AWS Marketplace Subscriptions||Cost Management + Billing,||Expert|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, implement and manage cloud Infrastructure including but not limited to identity and Security, Monitoring, Data Storage, Business Continuity
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
- Work with sales department for performing demonstration and conversing requirements
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Preparation and presentation of a test plan, lab reports, technical presentations and analyst briefings for covering different solution areas
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
- Provide support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud architectures, deployment, and operations
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Demonstrate knowledge of DevOps tool chains and processes
- Provide thought leadership in industry and to fellow team members across business and technical project
- Demonstrate forward thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts
- Advocate and define cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
- Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks
- Develop a cohesive team and ensure their continued success
- Lead the definition and development of cloud reference architecture and management systems
- Conduct product work reviews with team members
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years of architecture, design, implementation, and/or support of highly distributed applications (i.e. having an architectural sense for ensuring availability, reliability, etc.).
- 2+ years of experience in “migrating” on premise workloads to the cloud.
- 5+ years of success in consultative/complex technical sales and deployment projects (where necessary, managing various stakeholder relationships to get consensus on solution/projects)
- Oversight experience on major transformation projects and successful transitions to implementation support teams.
- Solid understanding of modern authentication protocols and a background in cyber security
- Deep understanding of cloud computing technologies, business drivers, and emerging
- computing trends.
- Deep technical experience in enterprise mobile, identity and access control, & security solutions.
- Understanding of cloud governance technologies for cost management and control.
- Understanding of common database technologies such as SQL Database/Server, Oracle, MySQL
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of all components of cloud technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Strong understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or client/server systems
- Experience working in a research or academic environment preferred
- Proven track record of building deep technical relationships with senior executives and growing cloud consumption share in large or highly strategic accounts.
- Proven track record of driving decisions collaboratively, resolving conflicts & ensuring follow through.
- Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort with both large and small audiences.
- Prior work experience in a consulting/architecture position within a software & services company.
- Problem-solving mentality leveraging internal and/or external resources.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related discipline
- MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / AWS Professional Solution Architect
- MCSA Cloud Platform Solutions Associate / AWS Associate Solution Architect
- CompTIA Security+, CISSP